If you’re a person that likes to bake like I do, there are times when you think: “I would like to bake some ______ right now.” And if you’re occasionally unlucky like me, then you shuffle over to the cabinet or pantry only to be faced with the fact that you’re either very low on or completely out of a specific ingredient (or ingredients) in order to make _____ right now. And it’s also too late to go to the store and/or you’re already dressed down into too-casual-for-public-viewing comfort clothes to leave the house. That was the case the other night when I decided I wanted to make some chocolaty chocolate chip cookies for my husband: I only had about a cup of flour, remnants of chocolate chips, and very little chocolate baking squares on hand.
Luckily, I remembered this crazy peanut butter cookie recipe that a friend told me about in high school that — to this day I can attest — miraculously works despite the fact that it has the fewest ingredients ever for a cookie recipe. All it is is one cup of peanut butter, one egg, and one cup of sugar. Seriously. Bake at 375 for about 12-15 minutes and voila! You have yourself some really delicious peanut butter cookies. So with this in mind I decided to elaborate a little bit and put together my own cookie recipe. They turned out really yummy and even our 14-month-old daughter approves of them! Enjoy!
– 1.75 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (like the ones photographed above by Bakers) (that’s one whole square plus one half plus one half of a half … yes, that’s all I had on hand and for some reason I saved the half of a half)
– 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
– 1 cup of granulated sugar
– 1 egg
– 1/2 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
– 1 cup of flour
– 1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
– about 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In a microwave bowl large enough for the entire cookie dough recipe, melt the chocolate squares and butter for one minute. Remove from the microwave, stir and then reheat for another 30 seconds if needed to melt them. Stir until all of the butter and chocolate have melted.
2. Add the sugar, egg, salt, and baking powder. Stir until it is all incorporated.
3. Add the flour and mix until you can no longer see any of the white flour. Add the peanut butter and mix well. Then add the chocolate chips and stir again.
4. I used an ice cream scoop to put them on the baking trays lined with parchment paper so that they would be consistent in size (the scoop I used is 1.5″ in diameter and is roughly 1 tablespoon). Space them roughly 2 inches apart.
5. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12 minutes. Remove and let them rest on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes before moving them onto a rack too cool completely.
6. Share with friends or just enjoy them all yourself. 🙂 This recipe made 25 cookies.